Friday 31 January 2014

Mourinho concedes defeat to City before clash

#askaroundnow
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho feels Manchester City are favourites for Monday’s Premier League clash at the Etihad Stadium.
While Mourinho saw his side draw 0-0 with West Ham on Wednesday, City moved top of the table thanks to a 5-1 victory over Tottenham at White Hart Lane.
Manuel Pellegrini’s free-scoring side are now a point ahead of Arsenal and three clear of third-placed Chelsea.
Ahead of Chelsea’s visit to City, Mourinho said: “Are they favourites? Yes. Are they even favourites to score again four, five, six goals? Yes
“But the result is 0-0 and we go there to compete and to play.”
Mourinho, who won the Premier League twice in his previous stint with Chelsea, has tipped City for the title on numerous occasions this season.
He told the Daily Mail: “For how long have I said the same thing? For how many months?
“For me it is not a surprise but we go there next Monday and the result at this moment is 0-0.”
Mourinho’s men came out on top against City earlier this season – winning 2-1 at Stamford Bridge in October.
Chelsea are left three points behind new leaders Manchester City at the summit following the draw against West Ham. Although Mourinho respected West Ham’s motives, he was scathing of their methods.
“I just told the boys it is very difficult to play a football match when only one team wants to play,” he said.
“Football matches are about two teams playing and this match was only one team playing and the other team not playing.
“I told ‘Big Sam’, and I repeat my words, they need points and because they need points to come here the way they did, is it acceptable? Maybe, yes.
“I cannot be too critical because if I was in this position I don’t know if I would do the same. Maybe, so I don’t want to criticise that.
“But at the same time I told (him) also, this is not the Premier League, this is not the best league in the world – this is football from the 19th Century.”
Asked to expand on his comments, Mourinho added: “Cheating – I don’t know if that’s the right word; pretending injuries, the goalkeeper winning time since the first minute. Not after 70 minutes, the first minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment